You may have one of your favorite bags tucked away in your closet, old and forgotten, yet you can’t get rid of it for some reason. Sometimes an old bag needs some makeover to give it a new life. With the right embellishments, some DIY skills, and a little time, you can upgrade your old or plain leather bag and turn it into a stylish and unique purse. Read on to learn the six ways to revamp your leather bags into something really cool!
1. Add Charms
Bag charms are a fun and fashionable way to add style to your bag to make it look amazing. You can add a few or many charms as you want on your bag strap. To make it more meaningful, you can also make a DIY bag charm, such as photos and accessories.
Whether you’re adding a DIY bag charm or a store brought accessories, there are many fun things you can attach to the key ring on the strap of your bag.
2. Decorate With Patches
Patches are a simple but unique way to give a new life to your handbag. But if you want to add color to your old leather bag to make it more stylish, here are the things you need to keep in mind.
- Decorating a faux leather bag with patches is much easier than authentic leather bags because they work well with hot glue.
- Sewing patches onto your leather bag is not recommended because the leather is thick.
- Patches can be attached to leather bags and can last for a long time as long as they are well taken care of by preventing the bag from getting wet and exposing it to direct sunlight for a long time, as too much heat can melt the glue.
3. Bedazzle Your Leather Bag With Rhinestones
Make your old bag stand out by using rhinestones to add sparkle. Rhinestones and leather go together, so you will not have difficulty decorating your bag. Make sure to practice and design the layout to make your rhinestones where you want them to be. Let your creative mind work and follow our easy tips:
- Let the glue dry before using your bag to ensure your rhinestones will not fall off.
- If you don’t want to cover the entire bag, try to make a monogram with your initials.
- Use E6000 glue to attach the rhinestones.
This video shows how to apply rhinestones to your leather bag.
4. Paint Your Bag With Contrasting Colors
Upcycle and personalize your leather bay by painting it with colorful designs. You can bring your bag to a professional painter if you’re not good at painting. However, if you want to DIY, make sure to use acrylic art paint. Acrylic paints work great on leathers; be sure to use painter’s tape to protect your handbag from stains. Once the bag is dry, you can pull the tape off and see your design.
A tip on painting leather handbags:
- Do not paint the whole bag. Just paint a single panel on the front. This will make your bag look more expensive and sophisticated.
- Do not paint the flap of your bag. This part moves too much and is prone to paint chipping.
5. Use Scarves to add Colors
Tying a scarf into your bag is another way of giving it a new look without detracting from its value. Get a bright-colored and bold scarf to secure your bag handles. In tying a scarf into your leather bag, always take note of the center, so you know how much you need to use it by the time you get to the center of the handle.
6. Replace the Straps of Your Handbag
Replace the old strap of your bag with a new one. Make sure your straps are secured by sewing through the knots to keep them in place. You can use thick ribbons, cords, and other DIY materials to creatively replace your old bag straps.
- To ensure your straps are secure, run a needle and thread through the knots a few times to keep them in place.
- If you’re worried about your ribbon fraying, add super glue to the edges with a paintbrush.