Now that you have bought yourself that Louis Vuitton bag you've always wanted, you would surely want to take good care of it and ensure its pristine condition is maintained. Below are some of the best ways of safely cleaning your Louis Vuitton bag at home.
Caring for Your Louis Vuitton Bag
In maintaining the beauty of your bag, proper care is essential before cleaning.
Good care includes doing the following regularly.
- Wiping down the dirt as much as possible to avoid stain.
- Wiping the bag with a clean damp cloth daily.
- Deep cleaning and conditioning the bag every 3-12 months.
- Use a purse organizer insert to protect the lining of your bag from dirt and spills.
- Using a base shaper to maintain its shape.
- Properly storing your bag when not in use.
Cleaning Louis Vuitton Handbags
Louis Vuitton Canvas Bag
Louis Vuitton’s canvas materials such as LV’s Monogram, Damier Azur, or Damier Ebene are incredibly durable, which is why they remain in good condition for a long time. Canvas is not leather, which you should always keep in mind to avoid using the wrong cleaning products for canvas material.
How to clean Louis Vuitton canvas:
- Coated canvas Louis Vuitton handbags can be easily cleaned by using baby wipes or a clean damp cloth with slightly soapy water.
- A soft brush or a toothbrush with slightly soapy water can be used to remove dirt from the uneven surface of the canvas. However, it would be best to be careful in cleaning Damier Azur or Damier Ebene bags because the prints on these bags can be removed easily.
- Do not try to apply any home remedy cleaning materials such as chemicals, perfume cleaners, and leather lotions to canvas products.
Louis Vuitton Vachetta Bag
Vachetta is natural cowhide leather that is a huge part of Louis Vuitton’s history. This type of leather features the presence of natural imperfection, such as wrinkles, because of its lack of superficial coat.
How to clean Louis Vuitton vachetta:
- Do not use soap in cleaning Vachetta leather. Soaps will suck out the natural oil in the leather, and your leather may dry up or crack.
- Spray some apple garde or products containing Nano to the bag. This helps darken the Vachetta for a few minutes but will dry up quickly.
- Cowhide leathers are very delicate. If your leather bag is stained, do not attempt to clean it. Let the natural patina process occur because the stain will become less visible when the patina takes place.
- If your Vachetta bag comes in contact with water, use a clean, light-colored absorbent cloth to blot the wet spot immediately.
- Do not use any chemicals in cleaning your Vachetta leather bag.
Louis Vuitton Vernis Leather Bag
Vernis leather is a coated, perky and feminine leather that looks like patent leather. It is embossed with Louis Vuitton’s iconic monogram print.
How to clean Vernis leather:
- Keep the Vernis leather away from any materials (denim, magazines, etc.) that may transfer color pigments into the leather.
- Avoid exposing your Vernis leather bag to sunlight, as it may cause fading.
Louis Vuitton Epi Leather Bags
Epi leathers are rigid, and bags made of this leather come with a natural elasticity that is merged with the structured quality Louis Vuitton bags are known for. Many people love epi leather bags because they do not demand much care and can remain pristine for a long time.
How to clean Epi leather:
- Maintain the cleanliness of your Epi leather bag by wiping it with a soft cloth once or twice a month.
- Make sure to store your bag properly when not in use to maintain its structure and beauty.
Louis Vuitton Empreinte Bag
The Empreinte is one of Louis Vuitton’s luxurious leather pieces. This leather is made of supple embossed calfskin.
How to clean Empreinte leather:
- Empreinte leathers do not demand much care. Just make sure not to place it on unclean surfaces.
- Store your handbag properly to keep its beauty.
Louis Vuitton's Exotic bags
How to clean exotic leather bags:
- As much as possible, avoid all contact with water and any liquid. If your exotic bag accidentally encounters water, immediately blot the affected area with a clean absorbent and lint-free cloth. Use light-colored clothes.
- Avoid exposing your bag to sunlight, as this may cause the color to fade.
- If your bug comes with metallic leathers, feathers, beading, sequins, or prints, be sure to give special attention by cleaning them with a soft, light-colored cloth.
Printed Louis Vuitton Leather Bags
How to clean printed Louis Vuitton leather bags:
- Keep printed Louis Vuitton leather bags away from any materials that may transfer color pigments into the printed pieces.
Why Proper Care and Maintenance is Important for Your Louis Vuitton Bags?
Proper care and maintenance are very important for your Louis Vuitton bags for various reasons. First, even when in storage, moisture can still sit inside your bags, which may cause them to lose their shine and texture. Clean your bag regularly but avoid over-cleaning it to avoid damage.
In addition to regularly and carefully cleaning your Louis Vuitton handbag, you should also make it a point to take good care of your designer handbag. Taking care of your investment handbags will make them maintain their beauty and resale value.