Handbags, especially those expensive ones, have become a must-have for many women today. We all want them, and we all want our handbags to last forever. We spend our hard-earned money when we decide to splurge on one, so it's only natural if we're going to keep its beauty to continue using it for a long time. This blog gives you tips on storing your handbags properly to make them last for a long time.
Ideal Handbag Storage Conditions
There are three things you should keep in mind in storing your handbags. These are temperature, humidity, and light which we will discuss below.
- Humidity:The ideal humidity for storing handbags is 30-40%. If your storage space is too humid, your bags are at risk of developing mold or mildew, which causes an odor that can ruin your handbag. To protect your handbag from humidity, you can place silica bead packets inside your handbag. These packets can be found in product packaging and repurposed as humidity protectors for handbags.
- Temperature: Handbags are best kept in the temperature range of 60-75°F. Keep this temperature range in mind when storing your handbags.
- Light: Lighting is often overlooked when it comes to handbag storage. Exposure to light will discolor and fade your handbags material over an extended time. Cover your handbags with a dust bag to protect them from unnecessary light exposure. You can also store your handbags in a low-light environment to protect them.
Handbag Storage Tips
Tip #1: Clean Your Handbag Before Storing
Cleaning is the first and most important step in storing handbags. This is to make sure that all items and accessories are set aside. Gently clean the inside and outside of your handbag. Depending on your handbag's material, use the correct cleaning product to protect its materials.
Regular cleaning is essential in keeping your handbag pristine, but deep cleaning is even more important before storing. Remember also to clean the extra accessories like a pouch, extra straps. After cleaning the accessories like an extra strap, gently roll it and put it back inside the handbag.
Tip #2: Stuff Your Handbag to Maintain its Shape
Keeping your handbag in an upright position will not only protect its shape but ensure that your handbag remains in good condition for a long time. That is why after cleaning, it is essential to stuff your handbag to maintain its right shape.
You can use small pillows, bubble wrap, acid-free tissue paper, or a puffy shape saver to keep your handbag's shape intact. Do not use crumpled papers or newspapers to fill up the space because the ink may rub off the material inside and create stains. Also, be careful not to overstuff it, or it may overstretch or bulge your handbag.
Tip #3: Storing Extra Accessories
If your handbag has other features or accessories, consider cleaning, wrapping up, and tucking them away for storage. If left to sit on the handbag itself, chains or heavy handles can leave indentations to the materials. So if it is a removable feature, just detach and wrap it up with a clean acid-free tissue paper and tuck it into the stuffing inside the bag. If the feature cannot be separated, simply wrap it up with clean acid-free tissue paper to lessen the contact between the feature and your handbag's body.
Tip #4: Cover Your Handbag
Most designer hadbags come with complimentary dust bags, taking full advantage of this valuable storage tool. Cover your handbags with a dust bag when storing them to ensure they are protected from light and dust. Handbags have a tendency to discolor over time, especially if exposed to prolonged light, but when stored properly, your handbag will prolong its beauty. If you don't have a dust bag, you can purchase a good quality dust bag.
Tip #5: Know Where and Where Not to Store Your Handbags
Know where to store or where not to store your handbags to avoid damaging the materials. Avoid placing your handbags with direct light and provide enough ventilation to prevent mold and mildew growth. If needed, invest in a dehumidifier to ensure your handbags are not damaged during storage.
Tip# 6: OurFinal Thoughts on Storing Your Handbags Properly
- Store your handbags in a dark, cool place.
- Keep leather bags out of direct light as it can cause the leather to fade, crack and dry out.
- Do not use plastic to wrap your handbag for storage, as this will allow mold and mildew to grow.
- Ensure that your handbags are dry before storing.
- Maintain the order of your closet by placing the ones you frequently use on handy hooks and then organizing the others in your collection.
- Use bag organizers to store your handbag.