It often starts with a stain, a scratch, or an unsightly wrinkle, and before we know it, the leather handbag you love slowly becomes tainted, and you’re left with a remnant of what once was. Sometimes we all neglect to clean our favorite bag, but if we do this often, we might end up having to let go of it. Whether it is a designer handbag or a more affordable version, they all require a little TLC if we want them to last for years and years. That is why we compiled this helpful list to ensure that you properly clean and preserve your favorite leather handbag.
How to Clean Leather Handbags
You can bring your leather handbag to a professional to be pampered and cleaned regularly. However, for those many of us who want to do our handbag cleaning, here is what you can do to clean your favorite leather handbag properly. This cleaning process uses items that are often available in your household.
Things you will need:
- Baby Shampoo: A few drops on the stains.
- Distilled Water: A quarter cup of distilled water for cleaning. Make sure not to use tap water as the salts in the tap water can stain the bag.
- Spray Bottle: To spray the mixture of baby shampoo and water on the stain.
- Brush with Soft Bristles: To remove dust and dirt that settled on the bag.
- Lint-free Cloth: Used to wipe off the shampoo and water solution on the bag.
- Towel: Used to wipe off the water from the handbag.
- Leather Cream: To keep your leather bag in shape
Steps for cleaning:
- Empty your handbag
- Use a soft bristle brush to dust your bag thoroughly. This is to get rid of the dirt and dust that settled on the bag.
- Mix your cleaning solution with a few drops of baby shampoo with a quarter cup of distilled water.
- Put the cleaning solution in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on a clean, lint-free cloth.
- Wipe the stained area of your leather handbag with the wet cloth. Ensure to wipe the straps and bottom part of the bag.
- Use the clean, dry towel to wipe off the excess cleaning solution on the bag.
- Let your bag dry for a few minutes.
- Use the leather cream in your bag. Use a soft cloth to rub the leather cream in a circular motion. The leather cream will make your bag shine like new.
Tips on Maintaining your Leather Handbag
1. Regular Maintenance
Clean your leather handbag regularly. Make a schedule for emptying your handbag, turning it upside down, and shaking to remove dust and other dirt. Regular cleaning or handbag maintenance will not only make your leather handbag last longer, but it will also ensure that you only carry the essential items in your handbag.
2. Remove Stains Right Away
Remove any stains right away to avoid permanent damage to your favorite leather handbag. Here are some quick tips on stain removal:
- Pen Marks: Try rubbing fresh ink stains with a white eraser. But, don’t use too much pressure while rubbing, and if the stain doesn’t disappear after rubbing, bring your handbag to a professional handbag cleaner.
- Foo Stains: You can use crushed white chalk on the food stain. Let it stay on the stain for several hours or overnight. Then wipe the white chalk with a clean cloth.
- Water Spots: Blot water stains from your leather handbag, let them dry naturally, and bring your bag to a professional bag cleaner.
3. Clean But Not Too Much
Avoid over-cleaning your leather handbag. Only clean it when necessary and avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals that might damage the leather. To clean your handbag, mix a solution of warm water and dish soap, dip a soft cloth into it, wring the excess water and gently wipe the leather surfaces of your handbag. Second, clean it with a damp cloth to wipe off the soap and dry it with a dry cloth.
4. Invest in Maintenance Product
You can clean your leather bag with dish soap and water and clean your leather handbag, but it is also good to use leather cleaner to ensure your handbag is thoroughly cleaned and maintained. You can invest in leather cleaning products to ensure you are using the right cleaning product for your handbag. Always read the instructions to ensure the product is suitable for the leather material of your handbag.
5. Seek Professional Help
Don’t be afraid to seek professional help for hard-to-remove stains, broken zippers, and rips and tears. Professional cleaners have the right tools and experience to clean and repair any damages to your leather handbag.
5. Store Properly
Once your handbag is cleaned, store it properly until its next use. The proper way of storing handbags is to stuff them with soft dry materials like tissue papers (acid-free),wrap them with a dust bag, and store them upright to maintain their shape. Unclip and roll up any long straps, store them inside the bag, and store them out of direct sunlight.